Tuesday, February 5, 2013

You wouldn't think that writing a quick little blog post about your day would be that hard. But I swear Florida has got my brain in this time warp deal where the days all blend together and I can't remember whats what or who is where or whats on second and who's on first?!?!? So bear with me while I try to get through this:
January 27th, Sunday- 
Lesson with Courtney. I was super excited for this one because we really made progress and I, of course, was ready to show off. Courtney noticed and complimented us on doing our homework (thanks DHS teachers for that one). Since we had taken care of the basics we were able to work on half pass. Leo was great and with a 'sneaky' leg yield a few strides then half pass then leg yield exercise we were able to make some progress there too. Nice to see that its all there we just need to work on the relaxation and ease of it all (I just made that sound so simple, too bad its not. But hey, thats the fun of it all.)
January 28th, Monday- 
Day off, can I move on... Oh wait- We went to the beach with some other WITtees. Public Service Announcement  wear sunscreen folks. I got the worst sunburn of my life and it was not a good time, especially in full seat riding pants... so take a hint from nike- just do it.  {and I went to zumba, I got schooled by this cute old lady, I need some salsa classes to prepare}
January 29th, Tuesdee-
Jump lesson with Schuyler Riley. Luckily Schuyler is right across the street from Hampton green so after a quick little hack I got to work with her in my jump tack. She was able to quickly establish a plan for the lesson, which focused on the use of my hands and back to keep leo in line and in balance. As riders we have control of the line, pace, and distance, when jumping. But really distance should be the last thing on our minds and pace comes with the correct line. I will confess I'm busy with my hands and that isnt fair to Leo, I am giving him too many cues. So Schuyler had me really thinking about creating a connection to the bit through the back of my shoulder blades instead of my hands, this helped a lot in quieting my hands and making me think about my back aids. 
Pretty much the entire WIT group headed off to the Global Dressage Forum North America but I had to stay back to my jump lesson. So I volunteered to take care of all the horses for dinner chores, I mucked 23 stalls that day- my arms are going to be ripped if I keep that up (and that counts repeats of stalls..) After the barn was spotless I met up with the gals for some dinner and caught a glimpse of the forum.
January 30th, Wednesday- 
In the morning we got to head over and watch Conrad Schumacher teach some lessons. He was amazing to watch, and it was nice to see how personable, and almost sports team coach he was about teaching (sounds weird but there is definitely a difference between your typical sports coach and a riding trainer). Then we headed back to the barn for lessons. I had a really good ride and felt great about the....
January 31th, Thurday-
...Schooling show today. I rode First 3 and got two really nice scores, 69+ and 70+. Main comment was to increase engagement and self carriage for success at second level, nice to hear :) 
February 1st, Friday-
Oh hey its February, how'd that happen... Today we had a fun day in the field, teaching some dressage horses how to jump. It was nice any relaxed and we basically had all the horses tacked and we warmed up our own guys then started handing them off. I got the chance to ride some really fun horses and Leo loved showing them why jumping is the thing to do (almost everyone got on Leo, he was feeling pretty confident by the end of the day). 
Then we had round two on our written training scale test followed by some fitness testing. That was a hefty reminder that this program isnt just riding, its a full body deal. 
February 2nd, Saturday-
Today I had a Lesson with Lendon. But a few days back we had made a deal... if I proved to her that I would ALWAYS ride Leo forward we would try him in a double bridle. One of the other horses got the same treatment and it worked out amazing for her. I mentioned to Lendon that I jump him in an elevator, and use two reins, so she suggested as a nice transition that I do my dressage in that bit. And man did it work. This was probably the best ride I have ever had!!! We had absolutely no problems walk-trot-canter or leg yield half pass. We even started playing with our changes, but all we needed to do was one each way (both clean and pretty :) Ill stop bragging now, even though I dont want to...
February 3rd, Sunday-
Schooling Show today at White fences. Got to trailer over with two other WIT members in a cool horse van, I'm a fan of it. Rode First 3 and got a 71+, I think I might be about set with first level. And did Second 1 getting a 62. It might just be me but the jump from first to second is a little steep. But the only comment was more: more thrust, more engagment, more self carriage and all that really needs is some time and commitment, both of which I have. Plus the added bonus of having Lendon and her crew. 
February 4th, Monday-
Officially one month in, this is insanity (and not like that workout infomercial, the real thing). Day off, it was nice. 
February 5th, Tuesday-
Woah Ive finally made it up to today. Cavaletti lesson with Lendon out in the field. It was fun, we really pushed the envelope with Leo and he handled it really well, being able to distract with the cavalettis was nice. And Leo got a nice pedicure from the farrier, and No the fact the he liked it does not make him any less manly! 
Now take a minute if you need to soak that all in. To be honest I might have made a decent part of that up, but I'm pretty sure its still entertaining. Off to bed for me....
Farewell- Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment