Sunday, January 20, 2013

A little time traveling required. (Saturday Jan 19th)
I apologize for not posting last night, especially after I teased that it would be a good post, the day's festivities got away from me. Yesterday some of us WITees (winter intensive training+ees) got the amazing opportunity to be videoed by the United States Dressage Federation as demo riders for the new Rider Tests coming out this year. The tests are designed for the rider who might not have the flashiest moving horse but still demonstrates a good knowledge of position and execution of the movements (or the naughty horse with a rider that is riding her pants off). Two other girls and myself were selected as the Training level demos. After coordinating our white pants and navy polo shirts we braided up our horses and got to it. Kim from the USDF was great, she has me ride through the test (that I had to memorize... i was a bit nervous) twice. The first time she wanted Leo too slow with his neck too far down, then the second time through she had me ride fast and his head high. Leo was an amazing guy for putting up with all the different things I asked for and it was a fun ride.
After the filming some of the girls were nice enough to take care of my Leo while I ran over to the Jim Brandon center for day two of being a runner. It's a good thing Florida rain is warm because I got a soaked driving the polaris back and forth, each time I came back I got a funny look from the judges (you know they should really invent windshield wipers for your sunglasses...).
Once we were done judging I was lucky enough to have time to see my friend Jaana R ride in the College Preparatory Invitational at the Global Dressage show grounds. I hadn't seen her since she moved from IL a while back and it was awesome to get to hang out and catch up, plus see her ride. For the college shows you do not ride your own horse but you pull a name at random then ride that horse, without any warmup, in the show. Jaana got an adorable four year old paint. They cruised around the course all the way to a first place finish!!
After all that fun it was time to hunker down on some homework and besides feeding the dude thats what I've been doing all day today.... Just cause I'm in Florida doesn't make finals stink any less (well the palm trees and studying outside helps :) Good luck to yall back home- take those tests!!

Well this whole post has basically been me procrastinating from studying (if any of my teachers are reading this- skip that last part). I guess I better go.
A reluctant goodbye from yours truly- Jenny Salinger

(Photo creds to the amazing and talented Jaana R)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment